Your home is likely your largest investment, so it’s only natural to want your home improvement projects to increase the value.
As a homeowner, you probably know that replacement windows add value, but you may not know what kind of return on investment (ROI) you can expect, or even why replacement windows increase your home’s value. Don’t worry, our experts are here to explain it all!
How Much Value Do New Windows Add to a Home?
Replacement windows are one of the best home improvement projects to increase value. Your exact ROI depends on several factors such as the type and number of windows you purchase and your housing market, but rest assured that it’s always a wise investment!
How much of your investment can you expect to get back?
Every project is different, but the national average suggests you’ll recoup around 72% of your investment. In Remodeling Magazine’s 2020 Cost vs. Value report, the average cost of replacing windows in an entire home hovered around $17,600 and homeowners reported an average ROI of $12,761, or 72.3% of their original investment.
What makes replacement windows such a smart purchase?
Let’s look at some of the reasons replacement windows are one of the best ways to increase home value.
1. Replacement Windows are Energy-Efficient
If the windows in your home are more than 15-20 years old, they’re past their prime. Window technology has come a long way in the past two decades and new windows are far more energy-efficient than their older counterparts.
What does it mean for windows to be energy-efficient?
It means that they are better at keeping the air your HVAC system works to heat and cool inside your home. When your heater/AC unit works more efficiently, your home’s temperatures will be more consistent and comfortable year round and you’ll save money on your energy bill every month.
Windows can achieve all of this by having a few components:
- Low-E Glass – a low-emissivity (low-E) coating reflects heat and reduces the amount of UV rays that comes through your windows without impacting the amount of light the room gets.
- Vinyl Frames – vinyl window frames are light, durable, and provide excellent insulation against outside temperatures and the elements.
- Double-Pane or Triple-Pane Glass – windows with two or three panes of glass have an insulator, typically argon gas, and a spacer between the layers. The extra layers of glass paired with the warm-edge spacer and insulating gas provide unparalleled comfort and protection against the elements.
- Weatherstripping – found around the sashes, weatherstripping provides an extra seal against the elements.
- At Janssen Glass, we’re proud to offer energy-efficient windows in a variety of styles like classic double hung and charming bay and bow windows!
2. Replacement Windows Add Curb Appeal
When you’re selling your home, curb appeal, or the overall appearance of the outside of your home, is a big deal. Curb appeal is all about appearance, so if your home’s windows are outdated, installing new windows is a surefire way to add value. At Janssen Glass, we offer a wide variety of window styles and colors to match your home’s style. From traditional wood-grain to sleek black and white, we’ve got something for every home!
Upgrading your windows to beautiful, new windows can transform your home’s appearance, increase your home’s value, and catch the attention of prospective buyers.
3. Modern Windows Reduce Outside Noise
If you live in an area with a lot of outside noise, did you know that your home’s windows can help reduce how much of that noise you actually hear? Yep!
Double or triple-pane windows with vinyl frames can greatly reduce the amount of noise that makes it into your home. In a noisy area, this can be a major selling point and can add extra value to your home. Knowing that not all of the outside noise will make its way inside is sure to entice prospective buyers!
4. New Windows Add a Layer of Security
Few things are more valuable than home security. The new locks and multi-panes of replacement windows make your home more secure, especially if you’re upgrading from windows with broken locks or a single pane of glass. With secure locks and double or triple-pane glass, you can be sure that your windows aren’t a weak spot in your home’s security.
In addition, some window styles, like casement and awning, even provide extra security by being too narrow for intruders to enter through. And in case of emergency, our windows are easy to open from the inside so you and your family can get to safety quickly.
Add Value to Your Home With Janssen Glass
From replacement windows to doors and vinyl siding, we can help you increase your home’s value. Call today and let a professional help you find what is best for your home.